Man sues restaurant over alleged smoke damage caused by grease fire

Alejandro de los Rios Dec. 22, 2010, 1:23am


An Orleans Parish resident is suing a French Quarter restaurant after a grease fire that broke out in the restaurant allegedly caused smoke damage to the man's apartment next door.

Covington attorneys Shawn Reed and Kyle Del Hierro filed a petition for damages on behalf of Greg Kowles on Dece. 16 in Orleans Parish Civil District Court.

The suit names Verti Marte Inc. and Catlin Insurance as defendants in the suit. The petition claims that a May grease fire in Verti Marte's kitchen caused a considerable amount of smoke damage to Kowles' possessions including antiques, fine art, retail items, equipment and other personal property.

The suit claims that Verti Marte had "notice of the danger posed by the build up of grease on the vents, exhaust systems and other grill equipment which caused the grill fire at issue" and that the building was "not properly maintained and appropriate safety equipment was not sufficiently installed."

The petition alleges the defendants are guilty of "gross and wanton negligence, carelessness and recklessness."

The suit seeks damages that include "carpet cleaning," "replacement of clothing," "restoration of artwork," and "fright, emotional distress and psychological trauma," among other damages.

Orleans Parish Judge Madeline Landrieu has been assigned this case. Slidell attorney Shelba Hatfield is listed as the agent for service for Verti Marte.

Orleans Parish Case 2010-12547

More News