Hewlett-Packard sued after laptop overheats and burns Mandeville woman
A Mandeville woman has filed a personal injury lawsuit against Hewlett-Packard after she suffered burns when her laptop overheated.
Claire Metcalf filed the suit on May 31 in St. Tammany Parish. The case was removed to federal court in New Orleans on July 12.
According to the complaint, Metcalf had to be admitted to the hospital on June 1, 2010 for burn treatment. After an investigation into the incident, it was discovered that the laptop was part of an "unknown" national recall, the lawsuit states.
The defendant is accused of negligence for failing to inform that the product was defective and that its malfunctioning could cause great harm, breach of express and implied warranty, failing to warn of the adverse effects of the product, failing to properly warn or recall the product, failing to take adequate safety precautions and failing to detect what was a dangerous situation.
The plaintiff is seeking damages for physical, permanent disfigurement and scarring, mental anguish, monetary losses and court costs.
Metcalf is represented by Mandeville attorney Edward J. Deano, Jr.
U.S. District Judge Eldon E. Fallon is assigned to the case.
Case No. 2:11-cv-01627