Deckhand sues for $1.3 million after being shocked

Michelle Keahey Jul. 26, 2011, 9:13am

A deckhand has filed a lawsuit for more than $1.3 million after he was shocked while attempting to plug in a light held together by masking tape.

Edward Shane Nichols filed suit against Monroe Marine & Associates and Associated Marine Equipment on July 22 in federal court in New Orleans.

Nichols states he suffered severe injuries on July 17 when he was serving as a deck hand aboard the "Kirstin J." According to the lawsuit, he was "electrocuted" when he inserted an electric plug into the socket of the barge, which caused him to fall. Nichols states that the electric lights had not been functioning since March and the plug was secured with masking tape and no cap.

The defendants are accused of negligence for failing to provide a safe place to work and with a seaworthy vessel.

The plaintiff is asking for more than $1.3 million in damages for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, mental anguish, emotional stress and strain, loss of earning capacity, loss of enjoyment of life, maintenance, cure, penalties and attorney's fees.

Nichols is represented by New Orleans attorneys Darleen M. Jacobs and Kenny Charbonnet.

U.S. District Judge Sarah S. Vance is assigned to the case.

Case No. 2:11-cv-01787

More News