After allegedly being left unattended for a lengthy period of time in the bathroom, hospital patient Cathy Anderson states she tried to get up from the toilet and fell.
Now she has filed a medical malpractice lawsuit against Lakeview Medical Center d/b/a Lakeview Regional Medical Center for alleged negligence.
The alleged incident occurred on Oct. 30, 2008, two days after Anderson was admitted to the hospital with a high fever and severe gastrointestinal problems. She states that she was assisted to the bathroom by a nurse, who left her unattended for a lengthy period of time. She tried to get up from the toilet but fell, sustaining injuries to her neck, back, head and right leg.
The medical center is accused of negligence for failing to use consistent, coordinated, multi-disciplinary approach to fall precautions, for the failure among team members to effectively establish an individualized plan of care concerning fall precautions, failing to instruct the patient and her family regarding fall precautions, failing to adequately monitor Anderson's response to pain medications and failing to properly observe, supervise, and assist Anderson with ambulation. Lakeview Regional also is accused of negligence for the failure to implement nursing measures required to monitor Anderson and to implement nursing considerations for a patient receiving narcotic analgesics.
The plaintiff is asking for more than $600,000 in damages for pain and suffering, disability and mental anguish, medical expenses, pain and suffering, interest and court costs.
William R. Mustian, III of Stanga & Mustian in Metairie.
U.S. District Judge Nannette Jolivette Brown is assigned to the case.
Case No. 2:12-cv-00063
- Fired Walmart worker alleges race, age discrimination against retail giant
- Mobile home buyers accuse Dixie Motors of breach of warranty
- Dodge truck buyers accuse Acadiana of selling them a defective vehicle
- Lafayette consulting firm accused of $300,000 well-conversion mistake
- Norwegian insurer accuses U.S. boat owners of negligence in million-dollar collision
- St. Tammany Parish attorney allegedly caught taking marijuana for services will retain law license
- Florida man accused of six-figure fraud in sale of engines to boat builder
- Statin drug’s alleged diabetes risk prompts wrongful death suit against Phizer
- $100,000 deal to open New Orleans restaurant in the Middle East goes sour
- Cajun Outboards Inc. sued over allegedly defective vessel