Man sues after slipping and falling on floor that was being treated
NEW ORLEANS – A Meraux man is suing his employer alleging he was injured when he slipped on floor stripping solvent at the workplace.
David Matherne filed suit on Jan. 20 in the Orleans Parish Civil District Court against Porter Industries Environmental Services.
Matherne claims he was working for Jacobs Technology at the Michoud Assembly Facility when he was going to attend a weekly safety meeting and slipped and fell on a liquid used in either stripping or waxing the facilities floors.
Matherne alleges the fall caused him to sustain serious injuries to his body and mind including an injury to his right hip that resulted in surgery and the insertion of screws and other hardware.
The defendant is accused of negligence for not providing warning of the dangerous condition, failing to remedy a known hazard, failing to inspect and maintain the premises, creating a hazardous condition, violating applicable standards of care in maintaining walkways, failing to properly manage employees, failing to adopt proper safety guidelines, allowing a defect on the premises and creating a hazard.
An unspecified amount in damages is sought for medical expenses, physical pain and suffering, mental and emotional pain and suffering, aggravation, inconvenience, loss of enjoyment of life, partial and permanent disabilities and lost wages.
Matherne is being represented by Metairie-based attorney Scott A. Decker.
The case has been assigned to Division D Judge Lloyd J. Medley.
Case number 2012-00604