Dear Senate President John Alario, Jr. and Senate Judiciary A Chairman Ben Nevers:
On behalf of the U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform, I write to express our strong support of Senate Bill 443 and its companion House Bill 618 — legislation sponsored by Senator J.P. Morrell and Representative Neil Abramson, respectively, that would help resolve so called "legacy lawsuits." These lawsuits are simply abusive and being pursued by a handful of plaintiffs' attorneys seeking to gain a windfall by circumventing established state procedures to fairly address alleged environmental damage claims.
With American families suffering from record-high gas prices, it is essential for policymakers, at all levels of government, to remove barriers to domestic energy production. Unfortunately, these abusive lawsuits arc harming oil and gas production in Louisiana, eliminating jobs, and contributing to higher energy prices nationwide.
We urge the Senate Judiciary A Committee to promptly and favorably vote out SB 443 at its hearing on Tuesday, May 8. Its House counterpart has already passed that body by a commanding majority.
We look forward to our continued work with the legislature to see the principles of these good bills become law because putting jobs over trial lawyer profits is of paramount importance.
Lisa A. Rickard
U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform
- Woman claims Unum Life Insurance Co. of America denied her benefits
- Record labels seek damages from The Mule's Hitch over alleged copyright violations
- Supreme Service and Specialty Co. Inc. accused of not paying overtime
- Painter seeks damages for alleged injuries
- Couple seeks arbitration award from VSR Financial
- Court to hear flood protection authority's appeal to revive oil company lawsuit on Feb. 29
- Patient blames Stryker Orthopaedics for injuries from allegedly faulty hip implant
- Former inmate alleges he was denied medical treatment at Terrebonne Parish Criminal Justice Complex
- Chinook USA alleges breach of contract in dispute over licensing of Duck Commander drinks
- Marrero woman alleges infusion pump was ineffective