Entergy sued by couple whose house was completely destroyed in fire

Kyle Barnett Dec. 12, 2012, 5:00am

Harold S. Bartholomew

GRETNA – An Avondale couple is suing the local energy provider for a fire that destroyed their home.

Kim and Jim Reynolds filed suit against Entergy Louisiana, LLC and their insurer in the 24th Judicial District Court on Oct. 24. The Reynolds' claims that that an Entergy employee made repairs to their electric meter, but left the job unfinished before completing his work day, indicating he would come back to finish the following day. The plaintiff alleges that the Entergy employee never returned and that over two weeks later a fire broke out in the meter box that consumed their entire home.

The defendant is accused of failing to properly install and secure electrical apparatus, failing to diagnose any defective apparatus and the procurement and installation of equipment with defects that Entergy should have know could cause a fire. The defendant is also accused of knowing that certain meters had defects and had previously caught fire at other residences.

An unspecified amount in damages is sought for mental anguish, mental anxiety, pain and suffering, disability, loss of enjoyment of life and medical expenses.

Reynolds is represented by Metairie-based attorney Harold S. Bartholomew.

The case has been assigned to Division G Judge Robert A. Pitre, Jr.

Case no. 720-489.

More News