GRETNA – The family of a deceased diabetic man is suing medical supply companies over his death a year after he accidentally took an overdose of insulin.
Lenora A. Cousin, on her own as the surviving spouse of Leslie Cousin, and Lolita Cousin Burrell, filed suit against Diabetes Management and Supplies, Lifescan Inc. and Johnson & Johnson in the 24th Judicial District Court on Dec. 21.
The Cousins claim Leslie Cousin was diabetic and used a OneTouch Ultra Blood Glucose meter and test strips sold by Diabetes Management and Supplies and manufactured by Lifescan Inc and Johnson & Johnson. The plaintiffs allege that the defendants sold defective glucose test strips and a defective glucose meter that resulted in him taking too much insulin and going into a diabetic coma in December 2010. They claim that contributed to his death a year later.
The Cousins assert that a glucose reading put his blood sugar in a very elevated range causing him to take an overdose of insulin. The plaintiffs allege that a week after the overdose they found out test strips from another manufacturer had been recalled.
The defendant is accused of designing a defective product, manufacturing a defective product and failing to warn about the dangerous condition of the product.
An unspecified amount of damages is sought for medical treatment, lost income, loss of earning capacity, physical pain and suffering, physical injury and disability, emotional pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, out of pocket expenses and premature death.
The Cousins are represented by Edward J. Walters of Baton Rouge-based Walters, Papillion, Thomas, Cullens, LLC.
The case has been assigned to Division N Judge Carolyn W. Gill-Jeffferson.
Case no. 722-328.
- Cellphone tower company sues two citizens, claims to be blocked from getting to work
- Uber sued by Jefferson Parish Attorney’s Office
- Shreveport attorney scolded by judge for lawsuit
- Hurricane Katrina symposium scheduled at Southern University Law Center
- Ford Motor sues man for allegedly defaulting on $11.8K loan
- Widow sues insurance broker, claims $1 million life insurance policy lapsed due to negligence
- BP oil spill settlement to reimburse millions Louisiana paid to politically connected law firms
- ENSCO employee seeking pay for alleged work-related injury
- Offshore Drilling Company Goes After Insurance Companies
- Ex-worker sues Baumer Foods, alleging unlawful termination