GRETNA – A Jefferson Parish man is suing a local law enforcement agency for injuries he claims to have received in an altercation with two deputies in a restaurant.
Thy Nguyen filed suit against the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office in the 24th Judicial District Court on Dec. 21. Nguyen claims he was a patron at Goody's Donut Shop in Gretna when he got into an argument with another patron. He claims two Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office got involved in the altercation and struck him.
The plaintiff claims he does not know why the deputies involved themselves in the situation and that they struck him several times in the face and body. Nguyen claims after the alleged attack by the deputies he required medical attention and was transported to West Jefferson Medical Center with injuries including lacerations to his eye and nose. He also claims back, hip and shoulder pain as a result of his injuries.
The defendant is accused of using excessive and potentially deadly force, abusing police authority, using excessive force without provocation, failing to properly train deputies, failing to properly supervise deputies and failing to maintain control over deputies.
An unspecified amount of damages is sought.
Nguyen is represented by Kevin M. Steel of the Gretna-based Law Office of Kevin M. Steel LLC.
The case has been assigned to Division B Judge Cornelius E. Regan.
Case no. 722-348.
- Student sues after alleged assault by teacher
- Endymion Mardi Gras parade rider sues after falling off horse during parade
- Wheelchair bound woman claims home elevator installation was faulty, not permitted
- Chili’s sued after chair leg allegedly punctures, injures woman’s foot
- Zephyrs spectator claims foul ball hit him in face and blinded him in one eye
- Nursing home facing medical malpractice suit after allegedly dropping woman on floor
- Patient sues hospital over alleged non-removal of stitches that resulted in complications requiring surgery
- Bowling alley sued for allegedly not paying advertising fees
- Laborer claiming radial saw cut through hand sues
- Deputy accused of calling man 'liberal' before attacking him at UPS Store; Heated discussion over illegal immigration got things started