Kyle Barnett Nov. 30, 2013, 11:22am

GRETNA – A local church is being sued by a volunteer cook who claims she received severe burns when a pan full of hot grease fell on her.

Sylanta Oliver filed suit against Western Heritage Company and Shiloh Baptist Church of Gretna in the 24th Judicial District Court on Nov. 8.

Oliver alleges she was volunteering at the fellowship hall at Shiloh Baptist Church when a hot pan of grease fell off a stove, rolled and severely burned her. The plaintiff claims that her left arm, left thigh, right leg and right foot were injured in the incident. Oliver asserts her injuries have required two surgeries, medications and continued treatment. The plaintiff claims the pastor of the church had been notified that the stove had a problem with rolling, but the wheels were never tightened.

The defendant is accused of failing to maintain and operate the stove with due care and caution, failing to take action to prevent of cause the subject accident, failing to secure the wheels of the stove and failing to develop and maintain a safety plan regarding appliances.

An unspecified amount in damages is sought for physical pain and suffering, mental pain and suffering and permanent scarring.

Oliver is represented by attorney Randy G. McKee of New Orleans.

The case has been assigned to Division E Judge John J. Molaison Jr.

Case no. 732-777.

More News