Kyle Barnett Jan. 24, 2014, 7:09am

GRETNA – A power tool manufacturer and a local hardware store are being sued by a woman who claims she was injured after a battery charger she purchased exploded.

Elizabeth Pagani filed suit against One World Technologies Inc. and Home Depot USA Inc. in the 24th Judicial District Court on Jan. 13.

Pagani alleges that in October 2013 she purchased a Ryobi battery charger at the Home Depot located at 2625 Veterans Blvd. in Kenner. The plaintiff claims that on Nov. 1, 2013 the battery charger exploded into flames in her home and caused severe burns to her foot that required medical attention as well as property damage.

The defendant is accused of failing to provide an adequate device, failing to provide equipment capable of performing the assigned task, failing to provide adequate wiring and parts to sufficiently operate the charger, failing to provide guidelines and rules for the use of a battery charger, acting in a careless and reckless manner, failing to exercise due care in distributing its product and failing to warn of the dangers and hazards of operating the battery charger.

An unspecified amount in damages is sought for physical injuries and property damage.

Pagani is represented by Bradford H. Walker of Metairie-based Walker Daly LLP.

The case has been assigned to Division G Judge Robert A. Pitre Jr.

Case no. 734-588.

More News