GRETNA – A man who suffered a disabling heart attack weeks after a physician allegedly could have but did not properly treat his condition is suing.
Nicola Mastropierro, and wife Cindy, filed suit against Dr. David Hutchinson in the 24th Judicial District Court on Jan. 27.
Mastropierro alleges that in the fall of 2009 he began to have problems with increasing angina and subsequent numbness in his hands for which he went to Hutchinson for treatment. The plaintiff asserts that the defendant put him through an angiogram and heart catheterization and was told that if stents needed to be put into his arteries or blockages removed those procedures would occur at that time. Mastropierro claims that on Nov. 6 he underwent the heart catheterization procedure for two blockages in his arteries as well as other issues in his heart.
The plaintiff alleges that although Hutchinson found severe health concerns during the exam that warranted stents and he had consented to their implantation, no stents had been implanted and he was discharged. On Nov. 25, 2009 Mastropierro asserts he was taken to the emergency room for a heart attack at which time a stent was finally inserted, however, severe damage had occurred to his heart and he was notified by his physician that he would be disabled. The plaintiff claims that had the stent been implanted at the time of the earlier exam by Hutchinson he could have avoided becoming disabled.
The defendant is accused of medical malpractice for failing to perform cardiac stenting at time of catheterization, failing to take adequate precautions to address immediate problem of severe cardiovascular disease and failing to follow-up on requests for consultation with a vascular surgeon.
An unspecified amount is sought for the plaintiff's damages.
Mastropierro is represented by Frank A. Silvestri of New Orleans-based Silvestri & Massicot LLC.
The case has been assigned to Division O Judge Ross P. LaDart.
Case no. 734-984.
- Apartment complex sued by mother over child’s death
- Louisiana man has filed suit after injuring hand while using table saw
- Orleans Parish man sues Walmart after he was injured on the job
- Personal injury attorney sued for alleged legal malpractice
- Mike’s Discount store sued after employee allegedly hit man with baseball bat
- Seaman sues Rowan Companies, alleging negligence in accident on vessel
- Heliport builder sues offshore services firm, alleging breach of contract
- Seaman sues offshore services firm, alleging negligence in accident aboard vessel
- Boat operator sues Shell, alleging negligence for injuries
- Seaman sues maritime company, alleging negligence in accident on vessel