Kyle Barnett Apr. 22, 2014, 6:46pm

GRETNA – A local tenant is suing her former landlord after claiming she and her son were injured by toxic mold exposure in their apartment.

Adrian Williams, individually and as the natural tutrix of her son, filed suit against 1st Lake Properties Inc. in the 24th Judicial District Court on March 28.

Williams claims she and her son were living at Breckenridge Apartments located at 6525 Park Manor Drive in Metairie owned by 1st Lake Properties Inc. The plaintiff alleges that when residing at the apartment building she noticed black and green particles coming out of the air conditioning vent that were later determined to be mold and fiberglass. Williams asserts the particles coming out of the vent at the apartment owned by 1st Lake Properties Inc. caused them to suffer from several illnesses including upper respiratory infections, sinus infection, stomach problems, fatigue, headaches, diarrhea, abdominal issues, nose bleeds, nausea, vomiting and other diagnoses.

The defendant is accused of failing to maintain the property, failing to maintain the building in a safe condition, failing to take all necessary precautions, failing to provide residents with a safe place to live, failing to maintain the property in accordance with law, failing to implement safety procedures and failing to properly manage the apartment building.

An unspecified amount in damages is sought for physical pain and suffering, mental pain and anguish, medical expenses, loss of earning capacity, moving expenses and property expenses.

Williams is represented by DaShawn Hayes of The Hayes Law Firm PLC of New Orleans.

The case has been assigned to Division D Judge Scott U. Schlegel.

Case no. 736-934.

More News