Woman claims waiter served bleach to drink

By Michelle Massey | Apr 30, 2010

A New Orleans diner claims she was served bleach instead of water, in a lawsuit filed against Vincent's Italian restaurant.

Johnson claims she felt an immediate burning sensation in her mouth and throat when she drank from a full glass, according to the suit filed April 22 in Orleans Parish District Court.

She is suing Vincent's Italian Cuisine, Inc. of Baton Rouge and That's Amore, John Doe and State National Insurance Co.

The incident took place April 23, 2009, the suit states.

After she had taken a drink, Johnson immediately went to the restaurant bar and asked an employee to call poison control and report the incidet to the restaurant's manager.

The lawsuit states that Johnson proceeded to wash her mouth out for a period of time.

When Johnson returned to the table and informed her waiter what had happened, the waiter took the glass containing the hazardous substance and gave Johnson another glass, this one containing water.

Johnson states that the manager approached her dining table apologizing, saying "he was sorry they gave her a drink that wasn't water, but that apparently had bleach in it."

Johnson claims the hazardous liquid injured her lips, mouth, throat, vocal cords, esophagus, stomach and intestine tract.

In the lawsuit, Johnson accuses the defendants of negligence for failing to warn of the dangerous and hazardous condition, failing to keep hazardous substances in a safe location, creating a trap, improper maintenance, and failing to rectify a hazardous condition.

She is seeking damages for physical pain and suffering, emotional and mental anguish, medical expenses, loss of consortium, loss of her normal voice and damage to her vocal cords, interest, and court costs.

Metairie attorneys John W. Redmann and Patrick B. Sanders of the Law Office of John W. Redmann are representing Johnson.

Chief Judge Lloyd J. Medley is assigned to the case.

Case No. 10-4089

More News

The Record Network