Sunbeam and Walgreens sued over child's burns in house fire

By Michelle Keahey | Aug 12, 2011

The parents of a child who suffered burns in a house fire have filed a lawsuit against the manufacturers of a heating pad, claiming that the heating pad was defective and caused the fire.

Kale Austin and Leila Rodriguez, individually and on behalf of their minor daughter, filed suit against Sunbeam Products Inc. and Walgreen Co. on June 21 in Jefferson Parish District Court. The defendant removed the case to federal court in New Orleans on Aug. 11.

According to the lawsuit, a house fire occurred at Highland Drive in Marrero on Nov. 5, 2010. The house fire allegedly occurred due to a heating pad that had a defectively manufactured power cord.

The house sustained significant property damages and the minor child and her mother sustained burns, the suit claims.

The plaintiffs are seeking damages for personal injuries, burns, scarring, disfigurement, mental anguish, psychological distress, medical expenses, loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, property damages, interest and court costs.

Austin and Rodriguez is represented by Randolph A. Piedrahita of Due, Price, Guidry, Piedrahita & Andrews in Baton Rouge and Joseph E. Windmeyer of Windmeyer Law Firm in Metairie. A jury trial is requested.

U.S. District Judge Martin L. C. Feldman is assigned to the case.

Case No. 2:11-cv-01929

More News

The Record Network