Local ship builder sued by employee’s widow for allegedly not paying death benefits

By Kyle Barnett | May 21, 2013

Connie P. Trieu

GRETNA – A Jefferson Parish woman is suing a ship builder that employed her deceased husband over the death benefits he was supposed to receive, but did not.

Thu Huong Hull filed suit against Huntington Ingalls Industries Inc. in the 24th Judicial District Court on March. 22.

Hull is the surviving spouse of Xem Van Le and claims that her husband was employed as an electrician by Huntington Ingalls Industries Inc. at the time of his death. The plaintiff alleges that she and her husband had been a couple since 1980, but were not married until April 20, 2007. Hull asserts that on Oct. 31, 2008 Le signed a beneficiary designation in which he named her to receive 70 percent of his work provided benefits and his son, Khan T. Le, would receive the remaining 30 percent. The plaintiff claims she has not received any payment from the benefit following her husband’s death.

The defendant is accused of failing to pay the benefits to the plaintiff and bad faith.

An unspecified amount in damages is sought for penalties and attorney’s fees.

Hull is represented by Connie P. Trieu of Gretna-based Trieu Law LLC.

The case has been assigned to Division I Judge Nancy A. Miller.

Case no. 725-158.

More News

The Record Network