GRETNA – A homeowner and his insurer are suing the manufacturer of a gas fueled clothes dryer after it allegedly caught his home on fire.

ANPAC Louisiana Insurance Company and Todd E. Heidingsfelder filed suit against Electrolux Home Products Inc. in the 24th Judicial District Court on Jan. 16.

ANPAC and Heidingsfelder allege that a Sears Kenmore gas dryer manufactured by Electrolux caught fire in his home located at 4309 Cleveland Place in Metairie on Feb. 19, 2013. The plaintiffs claim the fire was confined to the utility room where the dryer was located and resulted in extensive smoke damage throughout the house.

The defendant is accused of a defect in the design allowing lint to come into contact with a heater plate, a defect in the interior fan allowing lint to reverse its motion and a defect in the design of the rubber seal around the drum of the dryer allowing clothes to leave the drum and come into contact with an ignition source.

An unspecified amount in damages is sought for structural damage, content damage, loss of use, inconvenience and loss of deductible.

ANPAC and Heidingsfelder are represented by Arthur H. Andrews of Baton Rouge-based Arthur Howell Andrews APLC.

The case has been assigned to Division N Judge Stephen D. Enright Jr.

Case no. 734-707.

More News