Woman files suit after dryer catches home on fire

By Max Schramel | Apr 2, 2015

NEW ORLEANS – A woman claims upon moving to her new home her house caught fire due to faulty screws in her clothes dryer.

Maison Insurance Company Inc., as real party in interest and subrogee of Janine Lynch, filed suit against Dupre’s Moving Service Inc. and Electrolux Home Products Inc. in the Orleans Parish Civil District Court on Jan. 12.

In 2005, the plaintiff, Janine Lynch, purchased a Frigidaire clothes dryer from the defendant, Electrolux Home Products Inc. The same year the petitioner moved to 8019 Redfish Street in New Orleans.

The defendant, Dupre’s Moving Services Inc., assisted with the move and even installed the plaintiff’s dryer in her new home.

On Aug. 3, 2014, a fire occurred in the plaintiff’s home allegedly due to a mechanical defect in the dryer. The fire allegedly caused severe damage to Lynch’s residence and personal belongings.

She claims the defect was caused by loose screws in the drum of the dryer, which resulted in overheating the plate and ball joint shaft.

The defendants are accused of selling a dangerous product, manufacturing a product with a defective design, failing to provide a warning label on the product, failing to warn buyers of the risks associated with the product and failing to properly install the electric dryer in the plaintiff’s residence.

The plaintiff has already received $54,258.06 on behalf of Maison Insurance Company and is still seeking an additional $2,500 for the remaining damage inflicted to the home.

The petitioner is represented by W. Ransom Pipes of Hannah, Colvin, & Pipes LLP.

The case has been assigned to Div. E Judge Clare Jupiter.

Case no. 2015-00235.

More News

The Record Network