Louisiana Record

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Couple sues school system claiming their child was injured after electrical shock

By Brandon Caples | Jul 6, 2015

BATON ROUGE – An East Baton Rouge couple is suing a local school system claiming their minor child was injured after receiving an electrical shock.

Darren Banks Sr. and Lakeshia B. Dawson file suit against East Baton Rouge Parish School System and their insurer in the 19th Judicial District Court on April 17.

According to court records, the plaintiffs’ son encountered an exposed wire on the wall in the hallway as he walked down the hallway at Belaire High School. The incident was recorded on video footage by one of the security cameras located in the hallway. The plaintiffs state that school officials knew about the hazardous wire from the wall but ignored it. As a result, the plaintiffs’ son experienced electrical shock and suffered multiple injuries, the suit says.

The defendant is being accused of failing to inspect the work area to ensure that live wires were not exposed, failing to supervise students from hazardous elements, and failing to keep students out of hazardous areas.

The plaintiffs claim their son suffered numerous injuries from neck, rib, back and spinal pain. An unspecified amount in damages is sought for medical expenses and court fees.

Attorney Willie G. Johnson Jr. in Baton Rouge represents the plaintiff.

This case has been assigned to Division D Judge Janice Clark.

Case no. 638,683.

Want to get notified whenever we write about ?

Sign-up Next time we write about , we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

More News