LAFAYETTE — A relative has filed suit against a real estate and insurance company for alleged negligence after a fire began in the attic due to an electrical wiring issue, which led to the death of a family member.
Samuel Owojori, on behalf of Jeremiah Oladimeji Owojori and Prince Owojori (deceased), filed a complaint June 1 in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana against GMH Housing LLC and XYZ Insurance Co., alleging that they failed to follow the standard practice of reporting and correcting complaints about the property.
According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges that on Jan. 24 while the family was asleep, an unintentional fire stared in the attic, which was caused by a defect in the electrical branch circuit. The fire allegedly spread through the house, exhuming toxic fume that was inhaled by decedents, causing them to become unconscious and remained unconscious until their final demise a couple of weeks later. The plaintiff holds GMH Housing LLC and XYZ Insurance Company responsible because the defendants allegedly failed to repair the faulty electrical wiring, failed to warn the deceased about it, failed to properly maintain and upkeep of the property and failed to comply with the terms and conditions of the insurance policy.
The plaintiff requests a trial by jury and seeks judgement against the defendants in the sum of $50,000,000, punitive damages, exemplary damages, attorney's fees and costs and for such other relief as the court may deem proper. He is represented by Anselm N. Nwokorie and Brian G. Smith of Smith & Nwokorie LLC in Monroe.
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana case number 3:16-cv-00760