GRETNA – Two Jefferson Parish individuals are seeking damages, claiming that a fire in a movie theater has caused them health problems.
William Wentzell and Cynthia Zuppardo Clark filed a suit against SC Clearview Mall LLC, doing business as Clearview Mall Management; Wanda Group Co., doing business as AMC Palace Theaters and AMC Amazing Inc.; America Multi Cinema Inc.; Real D Inc.; Kasima LLC; Digital Cinema Distribution Coalition LLC; and ABC Insurance Co. in the 24th Judicial District Court on June 29.
According to the claim, the plaintiffs were at the Clearview 12 AMC Palace Theater located at 4486 Veterans Blvd. in Metairie on July 5, 2015, when the incident occurred. The suit states that while the plaintiffs were sitting in the theater watching "Jurassic World," the theater lights went out and they were told by an employee to wait for the movie to restart. The suit additionally states that the plaintiffs waited for 30 minutes, during which time the theater began to fill with smoke, and the plaintiffs were told that they should leave at this time. As they left the theater, the suit states that the plaintiffs encountered a smoky hallway from a roof fire. The plaintiffs allegedly have been caused to suffer bronchial troubles due to this incident.
The defendants are accused of failing to evacuate the guests in a timely manner, failure to properly train employees, failure to maintain working sprinklers and fire alarms and other counts.
The plaintiffs are seeking an unspecified amount in damages. They are represented by Craig S. Sossaman of the Law Offices of Craig S. Sossaman in Metairie.
The case has been assigned to Division P Judge Lee V. Faulkner Jr.
The 24th Judicial District Court Case number 762402