Roofer shocked by metal ladder placed close to electric wires sues

By Louisiana Record reports | Nov 18, 2013

GRETNA – A roofer who was shocked after his metal ladder was placed close to live power lines is suing local energy providers for his injuries.

Jesus M. Guzman filed suit against Entergy Louisiana LLC and Entergy Gulf States Louisiana LLC in the 24th Judicial District Court on Oct. 29.

Guzman claims he was working on an apartment house in Monroe on Oct. 30, 2012 as an employee of Nelson Builders LLC when he moved a metal ladder near a live electrical line. The plaintiff alleges that an electric arc caused electricity to flow through the ladder and into his body. Guzman asserts that the incident resulted in serious personal injuries.

The defendant is accused of failing to properly and safely install uninsulated high voltage electric lines, placing high voltage lines in close proximity to an apartment building, placing high voltage power lines in proximity to the ground, failing to properly maintain electrical lines and equipment, failing to properly inspect electrical lines, failing to warn of a dangerous condition, failing to maintain premises in a safe condition, failing to exercise utmost in care in installation of high power electrical lines, failing to exercise reasonable care in installation of high power electrical lines, failing to properly insulate high voltage electric lines and failing to take proper precaution to prevent injury.

An unspecified amount in damages is sought for pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost wages, loss of enjoyment of life, impairment to future earning capacity, anxiety, mental anguish, permanent disfigurement and scarring.

Guzman is represented by Drew R. Ballina of New Orleans-based Heller, Draper, Patrick & Horn LLC.

The case has been assigned to Division F Judge Michael P. Mentz.

Case no. 732-436.

More News

The Record Network