Hotel sued after guest shocked by wall sconce

By Michelle Massey | Jul 16, 2010

A Tennessee woman has filed a lawsuit against the hotel where she stayed during a 2009 trip to New Orleans, after she was allegedly shocked during an attempt to turn on a light.

Kairian Walter filed suit against Lodging doing business as Queen & Crescent Hotel and Companion Property and Casualty Insurance Group July 6 in Orleans Parish District Court.

Walter states that in July 2009 she and some friends were attending the Essence Festival and stayed at Queen & Crescent Hotel on Camp Street in New Orleans when the incident occurred.

She claims that when she attempted to turn on the wall sconce light, she immediately felt an electric current "viciously flow through her body."

According to her complaint, electrical sparks emitted from the sconce and the air conditioner in the room went off. Walter's friends attempted to contact an ambulance form her room without success.

Walter states she requested the front desk attendant hail her a cab so she could seek medical treatment but she was told she would have to hail her own cab. One of Walter's friends managed to call an ambulance and Walter was treated at Tulane Medical Center.

The defendants are accused of negligence for failing to provide a safe environment for its patrons, failing to adequately repair its premises, failing to provide equipment free from vices and defects, and failing to adequately inspect equipment, made available to its patrons.

Walter is seeking damages for medical expenses, physical, mental and emotional pain and suffering, embarrassment and humiliation, loss of enjoyment of life, court costs and interest.

Walter is represented by attorney Juan A. Byrd of Luling.

Judge Ethel S. Julien is assigned to the case.

Case No. 10-6927

More News

The Record Network