GRETNA – A fitness club member is alleging he received chemical burns all over his body after his towel soaked up cleaning solutions that he used to dry himself.

James Harrison filed suit against Ochsner Health System and Elmwood Fitness Center, and Wechem Inc., in the 24th Judicial District Court on Jan. 21.

Harrison alleges he was a patron at the Elmwood Fitness Center located at 1200 Clearview Pkwy., Suite 1200 in Harahan on Feb. 1, 2014 when he went in to the men’s locker room and placed his towel on a bench that had just had Champ Cleaner, a chemical cleaning solution, sprayed on it. The plaintiff contends when he sat his towel it soaked up the cleaning product and that when he dried himself off with the towel he spread the chemical cleaning product all over his body. Harrison asserts that he received severe burns and rashes due to the chemical exposure.

The defendant is accused of failing to clean up a hazardous chemical, failing to follow proper safety procedures, failing to warn patrons of hazards, failing to properly maintain the premises, failing to use ordinary care, failing to routinely and carefully inspect the business, failing to take necessary precautions to avoid incidents and failing to correct a condition on its premises.

An unspecified amount in damages is sought for mental pain and suffering, mental anguish, physical pain and suffering, medical expenses, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of earnings and lost wages.

Harrison is represented by Michael S. Finkelstein of New Orleans-based Wolfe, Begoun & Pick LLC.

The case has been assigned to Division D Judge Scott U. Schlegel.

Case no. 746-038.

More News